We love to realize projects with you to advance the culinary revolution. Regardless whether …
- you are a boutique restaurant that looks for the handmade servingware harmonizing with your culinary creations,
- you are a craft coffee house or roastery and decide to blend your delicacies with a one-of-a-kind tableware series,
- you are an interior designer who works on a new concept of individualising the culinary spaces for his clientele,
- or you just want to make this wild childhood dream of your wonderland tea cups come true,
contact us at hello [at] hartmud.com
find us on Instagram #hartmudstudio
From morning coffee to bedtime porridge, from craft beer binge to tea meditation we invite you to share our love with clay in our shop.
Our shop features small batched series of high-end collectibles that derive from constantly evolving processes of throwing, glazing and firing.
Here we realize our heartfelt passion to play and create according to our inner essence, and we invite you to become part of the culinary revolution: smash or donate your machine made dishes and start a lifelong relationship with culinary artifacts that nurture and enliven you.
Both born in the documenta city of Kassel/Germany, both born on December 15, Isa and Jérôme are on an art mission to develop and nurture common ground. Despite growing up in a world that worships reductionism as the final truth, they feel what romantic poet Novalis called “everything is a fairytale”. In 2016 they gave birth to Hartmud Studio as an embodiment of life as art, and like so many good things it all started in the kitchen – above the roofs of Frankfurt/Germany, where the art collective is based for the time being.
Merging natural beauty and maverick handicraft, ethereal intuition and fiery drive, the artists draw their energy from studies and work in interior design, relentless hours on the potters wheel and starlit nights of entropic experiments in glazing, spiced up with the vital passion for culinary and lucullan adventurism and rounded down with yogic contemplation of suchness in the here and now.
Isa and Jérôme love to learn about the myriad of human inspirations – so happily contact them and share your personal story of art and craft.
Hartmud is part of the worldwide makers movement that self empowers our human talents and frees us from mass production and blind consumerism.
The people and restaurants who use our tableware have transformed their habits of producing and cooking food, becoming more focused on local ingredients and spreading culinary consciousness, preserving local traditions, rediscovering ancient techniques and growing forgotten varieties.
It is Hartmuds life mission to enhance and refine this new food movement with the right utensils in form of highest quality handmade ceramic tableware. We are adding the hand made bowls to the home cooked food sourced at local markets, we are contributing the hand shaped cups and creamers to the craft coffee houses that beautify our cities, we create the one-of-kind vases for the organic flowers picked in the wilderness, and we say „Prost!“ with our robust stoneware beer mugs for your favourite craft beer.
Hartmud tableware is as natural and unique as the people who share the love for the ongoing culinary revolution.
As a guarantee for our work standard and quality we make the oath…
1. To force the truth out of the clay mud with our bare hands. With complete disregard for mass-production we have chosen to build handcrafted unique and highest quality tableware that bear the signature of the maker through their distinguishing irregularities.
2. To fire our ceramics to last for 4000 years. Each piece is created in a slow and intensive hand made process that produces the highest quality of ceramic ware, finished with stoneware glaze and fired at least at 1,200°C (2,192°F) – transforming clay into vitrified stoneware – a material we call „fossil of beauty“ because of its longevity and robustness. In fact archeological findings reveal stoneware items that date from 2,500 B.C.
3. To regard form and function as one. We are dedicated to what design philosophers call „free and open form“ – best represented in the bowl, the most ancient, natural and iconic dish of mankind. It reminds us of two hands formed together to scoop water – an act our species performed in a life saving daily routine for millions of years. From these water scooping hands the potters invented the bowl as perfect symbol of the adage „form and function are one“.
4. To re-invent the culinary spaces. We aim at enriching and refining our daily experience of eating and drinking and making it sacred again: we create the tableware for a generation that regards food and drink as a heartfelt passion and who feels an uncompromising commitment to quality and environmental sustainability.
5. To use only natural materials. Put very simple: for our ceramic tableware we use only earth (best fat clay from Germany’s Westerwald region), heat (efficient techniques from sustainable energy sources) and natural stoneware glazes (silica for vitrification and various metal oxides)
Welcome to Hartmud | Natural Beauties.
We are a German art collective devoted to the creation of high-end ceramics for the culinary revolution.
As genuine studio potters we produce small series of highest quality tableware in unique forms and for dedicated functions.
Our one of a kind handcrafted, high temperature stoneware pottery for daily use combines usefulness of tableware and aesthetics of ceramic arts.
Our love for pure aesthetics is enhanced by our mission to re-invent the human culinary spaces through ceramic arts and crafts.
Besides direct sales, we regard craft coffee houses, local beer parlours, boutique restaurants and all the open-minded people who share our love for the makers movement as our clientele.